Bismarck, ND – The Industrial Commission of North Dakota today approved $648,346 in Outdoor Heritage Fund grants for six conservation and recreation projects benefiting communities across the state.
The funding, generated from oil and gas production tax revenue, supports projects such as access to public and private lands for sportsmen, farming and ranching stewardship practices, fish and wildlife habitat preservation and outdoor recreation areas.
The projects approved today are:
- $138,850 - North Dakota Natural Resources Trust: For improving accessibility and informational materials for canoeing, kayaking, fishing, camping and hunting access opportunities on the Sheyenne River.
- $98,371 - Bismarck Parks & Recreation: For stabilization of a portion of Hay Creek bank (restore riparian environment along the west bank and remove accumulated sediment along the east bank).
- $211,732 - McLean County Water Resource Board: For construction of Phase 1 of a high-flow channel on Painted Woods Lake and construction of wildlife enhancements.
- $112,354 - Bowman-Slope Soil Conservation District: For assisting three producers with grazing Best Management Practices including fencing, wells, pipelines and tanks impacting 5,000 acres.
- $33,601 - Northern Plains Botanic Garden Society, Fargo: For creation of edible forest, including trees, bushes, pollinator plots, walking path and fencing.
- $53,438 – Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa: For purchasing and erecting three community restroom facilities at Sky Chief Park.
The Industrial Commission of North Dakota, which oversees the Outdoor Heritage Fund, consists of Gov. Doug Burgum as chairman, Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem and Agriculture Commissioner Doug Goehring.
The next submission deadline for grant applications from state agencies, tribal governments, political subdivisions and non-profit organizations is Oct. 1, 2018. More information about the program, including the application process, can be found on the Outdoor Heritage Fund website at http://www.nd.gov/ndic/outdoor-infopage.htm.
For more information, contact Jim Melchior at 701-220-8023.
Karlene K. Fine, Executive Director and Secretary
State Capitol, 14th Floor - 600 E Boulevard Ave Dept 405 - Bismarck, ND 58505-0840
Phone: (701) 328-3722 FAX: (701) 328-2820
"Your Gateway to North Dakota”: www.nd.gov